kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

19 March 2011

{another} work story

Remember how I talked about my job a few days ago and said that lifeguarding is a three-ring circus extraordinaire? Here is a snapshot of my day.

Work began at 7:35 am. We found a legitimately crazy man swimming in the pool. (We weren't open yet.) All of the lights in the pool area were off, and nobody was there. But he told us not to worry about him because he's "an Olympic swimmer who loves to swim in the dark". {riiiiiighhhht} I asked what his name was, and he ran out of the Rec Center. So, I just looked it up in the computer because it keeps a backlog of everyone admitted that day.

Work ended at 6:00, and just before that, a woman took her 2, 3, and 4 year old sons to the deep end to teach them how to dive. Really, lady? They can't even swim yet. That's like teaching someone how to run before they can stand up. It didn't work. Not to mention I was on the edge of my chair ready to leap into save-the-kid mode because I was extremely concerned one of them was going to topple into the water.

I'm happy to be home.

1 comment:

lotusgirl said...

Wow. The crazies love the pool, huh? I agree with Karen.