kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

21 March 2011

:: books ::

"A book is a gift you can open again and again."
- Garrison Keillor


In the midst of the E-book revolution, I have a few things to say regarding the matter. I own a Kindle, and I think it is the most fantastic thing I have. No matter where I go, a have, at my disposal, over thirty books that are currently on my Kindle. I love the convenience of it, but at the same time, there's something to be said for real, tangible, bound books. I love the smell of paper. It sounds silly, but books have such a lovely, unique smell. I love the satisfaction you feel when the pages you hold in your left hand become greater than the number of pages in your right hand. I love the anticipation of beginning a new book; the anticipation for the friends I will make in the characters; the places I'll visit. I also love bookstores. I love that there are so many characters living in those books that I have yet to meet. I could wander around a bookstore for hours, and not be bored. I know that my own children will probably laugh at the fact that I love to wander around bookstores because everything will be so digitized by then, but they will know the joy that comes from holding bound books. They will.

1 comment:

lotusgirl said...

In these things we are so much alike. As far as my children are concerned, on one hand, Elizabeth is more passionate about bound books than I am. She absolutely refuses to read something on the Kindle. David, on the other hand, thinks that the Kindle is super slick.