kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

24 September 2010

In other news:

I love Afro-Mysticism and I don't care who knows it!

No, really. It is such an incredible and fascinating religion. I first learned about Afro-Mysticism in my Postmodern American Literature class, and now we're studying it so much more in depth in my African-American Literature class (same professor teaching). It's a beautiful religion about growing closer to and more like God, and connecting the past with the present and the future. It's about maintaining those ties with your ancestors and not forgetting about them because you cannot be saved without your dead. There is also a heavy emphasis on the family and keeping those relationships strong.

Gorgeous ideas, no?

The more I study and learn about Afro-Mysticism, the more parallels I find between it and my own faith. In fact, we are all much more similar than we realize.

Also, voodoo is not satanic. Hollywood has so greatly skewed our perception of it, and that makes me mad. It's actually much more spiritual than people think it is. For example: Disney's The Princess and the Frog is such a bad representation of it. Don't base your ideas of voodoo on anything Hollywood gives you.

1 comment:

lotusgirl said...

I don't know a whole lot about it.