kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

21 June 2009

is it supposed to be a compliment?

I really hate it when people tell me, "You look tired."
It's basically a "nicer" way of saying, "You look horrible."
If I am actually tired, or know that I look like I've just been pummeled by a linebacker, then I'm semi-ok with the above mentioned sentence.
{for example, i know that i look this way when i get home from work because i'm usually wet, and am indeed tired}
But when I'm all dressed up for church, well rested, and feel pretty, that statement, "You look tired," feels like a punch in the stomach. How am I supposed to respond to that? "Actually, I'm not tired?" or perhaps "Uh, thanks?"
All I know is that in what has been an already ridiculously stressful morning, "You look tired" is the last thing I wanted to hear.

4 comments:

Karen said...

aww...maybe your stress showed through. When we feel stress, we do tend to look tired.

Be sure to exercise and eat well...it helps combat stress!

And if that doesn't work, try deep breathing and milk duds with hot tamales. ;)

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I think it's totally rude!

lotusgirl said...

So is a shocked "You look so young and perky. What did you do?" Uh, does that mean I usually look old and tired? Heehee.

Anonymous said...

I def. agree...only thing worse is when they tell you, "Oh, you look so pretty today!" Then they squint and go, "Are you tired or something?" Yeah...I just don't get it. ;)