kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

16 May 2009

music = love. always.

:: Today I watched the 100 Greatest songs of the 90s on VH1. While I was not reared on music from that decade, and hate pretty much all of the music that came from it, watching the show was a rather nice, nostalgic trip down memory lane.

:: All of this made me think more about wonderful musical memories:
Inspired by my dad, who, while in high school, was late for class one morning because he and a friend listened to one track from The Grand Illusion by Styx, couldn't stop after just one song, and then listened to the entire album. {he informed me that this also happened with the album Boston}. can you blame him? i totally would have been late for those screeching guitars, impeccable voices, intelligent lyrics.....
{my first experience with these albums was most likely in the truck on the way to the beach}

So here is a series of some firsts:
- "Free Bird" - in the car with my dad. it was the most glorious thing i've ever heard.
- "Foreplay/Long Time": driving through Dusty Bend. Brad Delp's voice. enough said.
- The Dark Side of the Moon: sitting in the Target parking lot when I was around 12 years old, waiting for my mom. pure genius. i'd never heard something so amazing, and it just gets better every time.
- all things Led Zeppelin - driving with my dad. that guitar. that voice.
- "Bohemian Rhapsody" - driving through Lugoff with my dad, going completely out of our way and backtracking home so we could finish listening to the song
- Billy Joel - i was probably 4 or 5. i had a 2-cd greatest hits set {stolen from my parents} that set off my life-long love affair with his music.

1 comment:

lotusgirl said...

Awww! That was a fun trip through your musical memories. I had no idea your dad did that before school. The little truant. I can understand though. I totally LOVE Boston. The Grand Illusion is great too.