kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

14 April 2009

climb ev'ry mountain till you find your dream

As mentioned in my previous post, I watched The Sound of Music twice this weekend. Once on Saturday night, and once on Sunday night. Mostly because it was the only decent thing on TV both nights, but I simply adore the movie, so I wasn't complaining. I also love Julie Andrew's singing voice, and have a thing for Christopher Plummer's speaking voice. {I could listen to her sing, and him speak the phone book, respectively} That being said, I have two very distinct and fond memories of this movie.

The First Memory:
I remember watching this movie at my cousin Sharon's house when I was probably about 11 years old, when they still lived in Camden. When it got to the part in the movie when Maria and Captain Von Trapp sing their love duet "Something Good," my cousin Christopher and my Uncle Foy got up, starting singing and acting out the song. It was positively hilarious. I think about that every time I see that part of the movie.

The Second Memory:
This one is much more pictueresque. Most of you know that I spent the summer before my senior year of high school at the Brevard Music Center studying piano. The opera company there does several performances each summer, and the summer I was there, The Sound of Music just so happened to be one of them. And when the opera company rehearsed, you could hear them singing from just about anywhere on the premisis. So, for about a week, every morning when I woke up, I would walk out onto the balcony of my cabin {which was in the middle of the woods} see the sunlight filtering through the trees, hear the birds chirping, see little squirrels running around, etc, etc all set to the background of
the choir singing the resounding final lines of the musical: "climb ev'ry mountain, till you find your dream". It was the definition of 'perfection'. What could be better than stepping out onto your front porch in the morning and hearing choruses from The Sound of Music?
Not much can beat that.

2 comments:

lotusgirl said...

So cool! At brevard that must have been amazing!

so just so I can picture it, was Foy Maria? Because right now I'm seeing him as Maria and it's cracking me up.

Anita said...

I LOVE the movie as well! I saw some video someone had linked to from Facebook the other day that had the SoM playing in some train station in Austria or something. Did you see it?? If not, it's DEFINITELY worth watching - it made my day!