kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

02 March 2009

we're all carried along by the river of dreams

Here's a snapshot of my weekend:

:: My birthday was amazing. Complete with the 24 hours of it coming entirely full-circle.
:: I have amazing friends and roommates; there is no possible way that I deserve them.
:: Sunday I woke up to Melanie slightly freaking out on the phone because our other roommate Liz apparently drove herself to the hospital at 5:30 am because she is literally the most kind-hearted person you'll ever meet, and didn't want to bother/wake/worry any of us...or her boyfriend {we gave her a hard time about that one when we went to visit her tonight}
:: The weather was so beautiful today. We left our apartment door w i d e open. I wore short-sleeves, a skirt, and even paraded around barefoot.
:: I asked myself this at some point- - -
:: What do I want?
:: How do I go about getting it?
{I'm still working on the answer to the 2nd}


:: End note:
"We're all carried along by the river of dreams".
This statement rings truer every day of my life. Dreams seem to be what keep me going most of the time. However, dreaming can be a very dangerous thing. When you dream, you run the risk of disappointment and despair, but yet we still allow that river to carry us along. Maybe it's the hope that one day, that thing we've been dreaming of for so long will finally find us, and our waking dreams will become our actual reality. A lot of the time I think that is too much to hope for. Yet, still, I allow myself to fall into that deep, entrancing state of dreaming, day after day, and get carried off into that world with the sincere hope that my dreams will soon move out of my imagination and into my daily life.

3 comments:

Bryce said...

"Was it a vision, or a waking dream?
Fled is that music; do I wake or sleep?"

I hope that you have a very osculatory awakening this week, my southern belle.

Karen said...

Your end note is very profound. It should be published somewhere...I think it is something that everyone feels.
What is life without dreams? And I hope yours come true :)

lotusgirl said...

Ah, to dream, purchance to live...

As to the beautiful weather. We had snow! Great fun. The kids were out of school Mon. and Tues. and there is a 2 hour delay for tomorrow.

You should check out my pix on my blog.

And you HAVE to check out my book review for tomorrow. It is a book you will LOVE. WWII. Dark humor. Lyrical language.