kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

07 December 2008

Here Goes Nothing...

Here is my first attempt at a post. We'll see how it goes. I think that blogging will be a good way to express my musings on various life topics, happenings, and observations. Let's hope I succeed at it. Regardless of who reads this, there is something almost cathartic about putting your thoughts and ideas into words. Rather it be handwritten, or typed on a laptop sitting at your kitchen counter. I apologize if my life is boring, or if you find my thoughts on life boring, but hey, sometimes life is just that way. Like my Spanish professor tells us: "With some things in Spanish, you just have to remember the 5 finger rule: 'Spanish is just that way.'"
Now that I've entertained you with my reasoning for starting a blog, allow me to explain the title. My mantra in life: "Peace, Love, and Rock & Roll are the only things you need to survive." If you know me well, you would know that I love rock music. Let me preface that though. I do NOT enjoy the wishy-washy, wimpy music of today that the music industry so heinously calls "rock". My feelings on today's popular music can be summed up in this quote from Billy Joel: "Have you listened to the radio lately? Have you heard the canned, frozen and processed product being dished up to the world as American popular music today?" I
totally agree. Rather, I love the beautifully-crafted, diverse sounds of classic rock. Give me the screaming/singing guitars, the awe-inspiring melodies, and the brilliance of the always smooth lead singers that make up all of those amazing classic rock anthems. The sheer musicality and genius of some of these bands absolutely astounds me. There are certain albums/songs/bands that I can listen to over and over and never get tired of. Allow me to share some examples:
1. I never, ever get tired of listening to Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon" (or anything by Pink Floyd for that matter). There is something inherently beautiful to Pink Floyd's music. It draws you in, takes you on a musical journey, and you leave in utter amazement.
2. "Free Bird". Need I say more? I could listen to this song continuously 24/7 and still get excited when Allen Collins starts playing that solo.
3. I can listen to just about any rock from the late 60s through the 80s (except Van Halen) and always enjoy myself. It's just good.
Don't get me wrong though. I have extremely ecletic tastes in music. I like just about everything from classical to country. I'm don't like rap or the music that's popular today, but even though I don't like it, I appreciate it for it's musicality. Someone had to have the brain and inspiration to sit down and write it.
So there you have it: my reasons for starting a blog and my reasons for naming it as i did. More to come later.

6 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I tried posting and it didn't work and then it deleted what I wrote. I'm going to try again. This is my test post

lotusgirl said...

You Rock! Welcome to the blogosphere! I can't wait to read all your happenings!

Alyssa said...

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to write about all of my happenings!!! :)

Connie said...

Welcome to blogdom! I think you were born in the wrong era :)
I close just about everything with peace and love! Look forward to your musings. Come visit an old lady @ http://fogle143.blogspot.com
xoxoxoxo

Karen said...

I quite enjoyed your blog entry :) Looking forward to more!

the Lioness said...

Okay, I'm going to have to have a dictionary handy whenever I read your blog. And I noticed you following mine! Thank you! Anyway, I think your blog seems pretty cool! (even if I can't make heads or tails out of some of the words you're using...) But whatever! It's still great!