kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

04 March 2011

"Follow the man, follow the man, with his pockets full of the jam."

I borrowed this idea from my dear friend over at The Carolina Housewife.
She and I share a love for all things musicals, so I decided to share with you a few of my favorite numbers.

RENT - "Christmas Bells"
I love all of the intertwining parts. It's fantastic on stage when everyone is running around and singing.

Chicago - "Cell Block Tango"
I love the raw energy of this song. It is amazing.

The Sound of Music - "The Sound of Music"
It's Julie Andrews. End of.

RENT - "Over the Moon"
I feel like Mrs. Davis said it best: "If you're a real fan of RENT then you can recite this entire song." I can. I sometimes break out into random performances of RENT songs. It's epic.

Les Mis - "I Dreamed a Dream"
It's such a sad song, but so compelling.

Mary Poppins - "Feed the Birds"
One of my all-time favorite songs. Again, it's Julie.


The Phantom of the Opera - "The Point of No Return"/"Down Once More/Track Down This Murderer"/"Final Lair"
The whole ending of this show gives me chills. My heart always breaks for Phantom, and I think Raoul is a pansy.

:: part two ::
RENT - "Finale B"
Can't even explain how much I love this song. It's so beautiful - in musicality, in meaning, in everything.

It was so difficult to pare this list down to so few numbers.
I could go on forever about this.
What are some of your can't-live-without-it musical favorites?

No comments: