kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

16 September 2010

pet peeve

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot put up with, it is when people smack their food. Did their mothers never teach them how to chew with their mouths closed? Or have they just become so lazy and inconsiderate of the people around them that they don't care if they show their half-masticated food to the world?

I share this pet peeve with my dad. When I was a child, I would always get stern looks or an emphatic "Stop smacking!" from him if I slipped up and chewed with my mouth open; even if it was just for one bite. I learned a good behavior: chewing with my mouth closed. And in return, loathe every sound made and the even the very idea of smacking your food.

So here I am, sitting in the hallway of the fourth floor of the JFSB waiting for my class to start, with some guy about twenty feet away (yes it's that loud) smacking away at his pasta or salad or whatever it is, wishing that I had my headphones to drown out the awful noise.

The end.

3 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I'm right there with you. I'm still working on my children. They should know better by now, but sometimes they still lapse. A college person still doing it should be taken out and smacked. (Pun intended.)

Karen said...

Lois...LOL. That really is the one of the worst habits!

Anonymous said...

My dad did (and still does) the same thing!!! So it's totally one of my pet peeves too! Haha(: