kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

07 March 2010

how'd you like the taste of beckett i gave you yesterday?

"Make sense who may. I switch off."

These are the last lines Mr. Beckett ever penned for the stage. Fitting, I think. (and I also might kind of want that on my tombstone). I've always loved Beckett's plays. Always. They fascinate me, though I know that most people don't enjoy his work at all. It seems as though you either love him or hate him. I've never, ever met anyone who told me "well, I kind of like Beckett's plays". As for me, I cannot get enough of this man's brilliance. Next on my list of books to buy is Beckett's The Complete Dramatic Works. I love how his plays get shorter and shorter as he aged. The whole time he was trying to portray the thematic phrase "they give birth astride of a grave" (from Godot; implying that the moment we are born we start dying) in the most minimalist way possible. He succeeded in this endeavor with the play Breath. The whole play lasts about thirty-two seconds. (I can't find any good videos of it, so don't bother looking.) Though here is the script. It is incredible.

:: Some favorite Beckett plays ::
Waiting for Godot
Endgame
Come and Go
Breath
What Where
Play

Oh, and if you like Beckett at all, you should check out Film.

No comments: