kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

09 November 2009

i like to think

As per the title of my blog, and with a little help from the Beach Boys, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times". My soul really does belong somewhere in the 60s/70s. At least, musically it does. However, I have a very strong attraction to the lifestyle of the 40s, so perhaps my perfect world would be the social aspects of the 40s paired with the music of the 60s/70s. Fabulous. If only such a thing existed. I know some of you are thinking, "why not just adapt your current lifestyle to that of the 40s?" Well, the problem is, I want the social elements of the 40s without any of the modern technologies and subsequent influences of today. Therein lies my problem. Short of completely rejecting our current society and going to live my life as a recluse somewhere {which I think might not be such a bad idea sometimes} I remain a slave to the mundane {or as Beckett would argue, not so mundane} tasks of every day life that society forces me to complete.

That wasn't what I intended this post to be at all, but there you have it.

2 comments:

Karen said...

hmm...trying to picture you without today's technology. hahahaha :P

I at times find myself wishing we could live in slower times!

lotusgirl said...

It comes out the way it comes out sometimes.

I often feel the same kind of thing, and then I let the washing machine wash my clothes.