kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

20 August 2009

today i went back

Today I stopped by my alma mater to visit a few former teachers who all had a great impact on my academic and non-academic life. It was so wonderful seeing them, catching up on life, and feeling bewildered about how many years have simply flown by since I was in their respective classes. And while some of them are in different classrooms now, the school looks the same, smells the same. The moment I walked through the doors and took a breath, I was bombarded with a flood of memories rushing into my mind. It is amazing how certain sights and smells will do that to you. Although I was excited to visit with these teachers I adore so much, I was also sad because one of my favorite teachers was forced to retire right before the start of this year, and wouldn't be there. As I walked from one classroom to another to see the next teacher on my list, I heard her. "No. It couldn't be." I thought. "She retired. She shouldn't be here, but that is definitely her voice." Then I rounded the corner and saw what my ears had already confirmed. There, standing in the hallway, was Mrs. Betty English. My jaw dropped, she smiled really big at me, gave me the biggest hug, and visited with each other for a while.
That was, indeed, the highlight of my day.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes it's good to go back to where you came from. Sometimes a leisurely stroll down memory lane will make your day. Sometimes all you need is to visit with teachers who know you so personally, who remind you that you're doing a great job, and that you'll be successful; and to remind you that this is precisely why you want to be a teacher: to have the lasting impact on your future students that they've had on you.

No comments: