kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

07 August 2009

things are not always as they seem

Never once did I imagine that my longest day at work would turn out to be the most fun.

I was dreading this Friday because I was scheduled to work for twelve and a half hours. Yes, that's right. I spent the entire day at the pool. And in spite of a few minor injuries {slide burns on the fronts of my hips and bruised right thigh} the day was most excellent. It started off with a morning in-service training that wasn't so much training as it was a hot breakfast and adventurous, albeit reckless, slide riding.

Eventually, we had to stop our play and get to work, but little did I know that this is when the fun would really begin. We, as a staff, played a game throughout the day where the person rotating you dared you to do something funny/ridiculous/silly/outrageous etc on your next rotation. Each rotation, you were given a new dare; so, you ended up doing some new, outlandish task every twenty minutes. Some of the highlights include: singing instead of yelling, standing up and dancing every few minutes, guarding with your tongue stuck out, frolicking through the water, etc, etc. {this brilliant game helped move the day along at a blinding speed}

For the second half of the day and into the evening, we instated a Ministry of Silly Walks of our very own. Each guard had his or her own silly walk to do every time he or she rotated. It was a magnificent sight to behold once each rotation started, and every guard was walking in their own absurd manner. We had many a good laugh tonight while watching each other walk. Our silly walks ranged from skipping to taking extremely large steps; from galloping to walking on your toes; and from high stepping to taking six steps then a jump. We were definitely a sight to be seen, and the patrons' odd glances only encouraged us to continue.

I love, love, love it when something you are so strongly not looking forward to turns out to be amazing, and ends up high on your list of your favorite days of the summer.

4 comments:

Candice said...

I'm glad you had such a good day at work! Nothing like acting up to make it go by faster ;-)

*squee to the double squee* My eyes just got so wide when you said you were from Camden/Lugoff, because I know two people from there (both LDS, coincidence?!) In fact, I was just there a couple weeks ago, eating at the McD's on my way home from the beach! Coooooool!

I am from a small town north of Charlotte and lived in Charlotte 6 years before crossing the state line about buying my first home with the DH. Part of what you see me talking about in my posts is the extreme differences between Charlotte and the small towns over the state line. It's like night and day around here!

Candice said...

PS- I just had a "duh" moment and realized you must have found my blog through one of them. Kristin Andrews, Brittany Rudd? Ten to zero you know them both ;-)

Candice said...

The world is smaller than small! Kristin and I are from the same town, her brother was my first boyfriend, and we went to the same HS!

I know of Brittany through Kristin and Facebook. I'm not sure how I ended up adding her...maybe through the blog or something. I have no idea, but I've never met her in life, just Kristin!

It's weird because I'm not LDS but I read a lot of LDS blogs and somehow everyone is interconnected or knows each other. If you didn't find me through Kristin or Brittany's blogs then this is an INSANE coincidence!!!!!!!!

Kelsie Lynn said...

haha! I cant believe you endured 12 hours of work. HOLY COW. well done.