kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

31 July 2009

all in a day's work

To say that lifeguarding is interesting is a vast understatement.
Lifeguarding is a three-ring circus extraordinaire.


During my third rotation today I saw my supervisor exit the guard room wearing a huge guard-parka {hood on}, sunglasses, surgical mask, and latex gloves, looking everything like Jason from Friday the 13th sans chainsaw. I found out later he was on a mission to terminate a beehive that had taken up residence on a lightpole.

Then, while in the middle of my sixth rotation at the baby pool, a girl came running to the side of the pool and proceeded to throw up everywhere. Now, I'm not one to handle regurgitation well, and practically flung myself out of my chair {while whisking me feet off the ground} to radio that very same "Friday the 13th" supervisor, and inform him about the incident.

And to top the whole day off, toward the very end of my shift at work {i had about twenty minutes left}, right after I had completely dried off, a boy decided to start drowning. I jumped in and grabbed him, rendering myself soaking wet for my drive home.

There is never, ever a dull moment at the pool.

3 comments:

Candice said...

Gross. Now I feel kind of sick. :-/

Unknown said...

Sounds fun! I hope they pay you well.

Have you received your hair accessory yet?

Kelsey said...

your lifeguarding experiences seem much more exciting than mine were. lucky (kinda) ;)