kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

08 March 2009

we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year

About 15 minutes ago, I was on my way home from my FHE brothers' apartment when I waved to a friend in passing. He then came outside, stopped me, and said "Alyssa, I want to talk to you about something".

My immediate thoughts: Oh crap. What did I do? I don't remember saying anything incriminating to him. What in the world? Conversations starting with those words always end badly. etc....etc....

Our conversation was as follows, with my unspoken thoughts in parentheses:
:: Boy: "Alyssa, I really don't want to date you, {Well, ok. I really don't want to date you either. What's the problem?} but I'd like to take you on another date." {Wow. That was really bold. Where on Earth did that come from?}
:: Me: "Uh. Ok. That's cool."

:: Flash forward about 20 minutes and add another guy...

:: Now, let's play the "find the irony in this statement" game. {Amidst a 60 + min. phone call to his mother justifying why he hunts because of a statement from a general authority he didn't agree with, and talking incessantly about hunting} "I'm different now than I used to be. I don't talk about duck hunting all the time anymore". {did you find it?}


:: spring forward really screwed over my sleep schedule; curse you daylight savings time.

3 comments:

lotusgirl said...

yes, found irony. *shakes head at clueless boy*

I'm with you on "spring forward" I loathe it with a deep purple passion!! My day was all out of wack. At least my blog turned out alright.

Thanks so much for eliminating word veri. Bless your little heart!!

Karen said...

You are so funny! Thanks for the chuckle. Oh, and yes...found irony.

E. said...

I like this. And I like you.

hearts.