kis·met \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\ - noun; often capitalized
1. fate.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language.
That may be the measure of our lives." - Toni Morrison

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born; it's an idea and state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, football, and country music. It’s being hospitable, devoted to front porches, magnolias, moon pies, coca-cola... and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way." - Unknown

27 January 2009

hockey puck, rattlesnake, monkey, monkey, underpants...

Beauty Pageants: Please, just leave them to the professionals.
The Miss America pageant: Good. They at least try to improve the world with their platforms. But, child beauty pageants? I just feel sorry for the poor kids. From spray-tanning their children, to buying "flippers" of fake teeth so their smiles will be perfect. Excessive much? I think so. Don't even get me started on the ever ridiculous pageant moms. Good grief. There is something wrong when I turn on the TV and see 6 year olds prancing around in heels and ball gowns looking more put together than i ever have.

And if that isn't enough...Get this: a beauty pageant that allows the mothers of the child-contestants to compete. It's a competition between the girls and the mothers. What is worse than 40&50-somethings strutting around stage in their swimsuits in all their love-handle, gray haired, cellulite glory? I'll tell you the answer: Nothing! This should not be allowed. What a disgrace to society. Ain't nobody want to see that. But I did get a good laugh out of it.

P.S. I do believe the most entertaining/amazing/wonderful thing I've ever beheld was my friend from Colombia (the country) trying to do a Southern accent. It was indeed, an epic endeavor. It warmed my heart!

3 comments:

lotusgirl said...

Down with pageant moms! Up with Colombians speaking Southern!

Connie said...

Then I um guess you would not want to hear about my 50th birthday party at the Pole Dance Fitness Gym!

I loathe and despise beauty pageants that exploit children...all children are beautiful in my opinion!!!

Alyssa said...

That's awesome Connie! I despise those pageants too.